When you are having a bad day and need to get out of a gloomy mood, here are 10 ways you can perk up your mood and get happy:
1. Picture a Loved One: Keep a picture of a loved one in your wallet and when you feel sad pull it out and look at that lovely face. You will immediately feel warmth in your heart and have to smile.
2. Reflect on the Positive: When you are trying on a bathing suit and look down at those stretch marks, look over at the little one you love so dearly and remember why the stretch marks are there.
3. Find your Happy Place: If you are having a bad day at work focus on your favorite place and imagine the next time you will be there. If it is a far away place you cannot visit, just focus on the visual and let it calm you and take you away to happier times.
4. Treat Yourself: You can't do this all the time, but on a particularly bad day make yourself your favorite food or snack and savor every bite. They say nuts and chocolate can do wonders to boost your mood.
5. Vent with a Friend: Call a friend and vent. Make sure it's not a friend who will add fuel to the fire. Choose a friend with a good sense of humor who is always good at looking at the bright side of things. They'll be sure to get you laughing in a few minutes.
6. Watch a Funny Video: Go on YouTube and enter laughing babies. There are very few people who can resist laughing when you watch these little cherubs chuckling away. If you aren't a big fan of babies then look for your favorite funny animal videos such as cats or dogs or just funny videos in general.
7. Fake a Smile: This might sound weird, but fake a smile. This really works. Do a full out grin complete with teeth and crinkled eyes. For some reason this makes you feel better.
8. Take a Walk: Go for a mind clearing walk. Unless it is pouring rain out get some fresh air and give yourself a quick change of scenery. Take in the sights, smile at people as you stroll and find a happy place.
9. Text a Friend: Text a loved one and say "make me laugh". You'll be surprised at the responses you might get.
10. Do Some Cleaning: Clean off your desk, or your room, or your coffee table. Anything that is messy and might be distracting and depressing. A quick organization goes a long way to making your day a little brighter. Messiness can be causing you stress and you might not even realize it. Neatness helps you stay focused and maintain a more positive attitude.
Trying any of these tactics will help your day seem a little bit brighter and might even improve your happiness enough to really make your day. Don't let the blues get you down. Choose happiness and embrace the sunnier side of life.
The author Sandy Getzky is an associate editor at ProveMyMeds, a public health and education startup focused on producing helpful resources concerning the treatment of common ailments.